Regardless of age or activity level, an ankle injury can be disastrous to your lifestyle. Both frustrating and painful, all care should be taken to avoid them altogether when possible. For this reason, weΓÇÖve detailed in the following article the most common injuries, and methods of avoiding them.
Sprains indicate damage to the ligaments holding the three bones that make up the ankle, often caused by an overextension of the ligaments’ limits and stretching. Sprains are accompanied by sudden, extreme pain, swelling and bruising. Sprains are often confused with fractures, but there is a very clear indicator of each. With a sprain, the ankle will feel stiff, while with a fracture the affected area will be tender to the touch.
A fracture is identified by cracks in one or more of the bones that make up the ankle (talus, tibia, fibula) and carries many of the same symptoms as a sprain. If you are experiencing any symptoms in the ankle, it is best to immediately consult a physician to have the injury properly identified.
Often confused with a sprain, a strain differs by the damage affecting the tendons rather than ligaments in the ankle. Strains are most commonly experienced by those who are highly active such as runners and athletes.
There are plenty of ways to avoid the injuries listed above, and every care should be taken to do so. Here is a brief list of some tips to prepare for and avoid injury:
- If you intend to perform physical activity, be sure to warm up adequately
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Avoid being put into situations where falling is likely or possible
- If dealing with pre-existing injuries, consider the use of a walking cane to support your legs and assist in movement
- Those of advanced age or having a history of injury should also consider the use of a walking cane
- Avoid traversing areas with uneven footing
- Avoid excessive walking on hills and steep inclines
- If running, walking or jogging for health, do so on level ground
These may seem like common sense, but in day-to-day life, it can be easy to neglect the basics, and it is our hope that with this article youΓÇÖll keep these tips in mind in the future. We would encourage you to look here if you would like to learn more about ankle injury prevention!
$30 OFF Plus FREE Shipping
HurryCane 60 day Money Back Guarentee